Renters Insurance Coverage — What Is and Isn’t Covered

If you rent your home, having insurance protection for yourself and your possessions is still important. Similar to home insurance, renters insurance protects you in situations that everyone can face: fire, theft, water damage and other unforeseen circumstances your landlord’s policy doesn’t cover. Your landlord’s policy only covers the building structure and not your personal property.

Standard renters insurance policies provide the following types of coverage, up to the limits outlined in the policies:

  • Personal Property — Covers your contents, including furniture, clothing and appliances, if they are stolen, damaged, or destroyed (Coverage C). Special limits apply to certain items such as jewelry, watches and furs.
  • Loss of Use/Additional Living Expenses —Covers the additional living expenses if the place you rent is too damaged to live in during repairs (Coverage D).
  • Personal Liability — Covers you against financial loss if you are sued and found legally responsible for someone else’s injury or property damage (Coverage E).
  • Medical Payments — Covers medical bills for people hurt on your property (Coverage F).

A standard renters insurance policy may not protect you from:

  • Flood — Flood coverage is not included in your renters insurance policy, but is available for purchase as a separate policy.


Your best choice for insurance

The first right decision in protecting all of your assets is finding an insurance agent who understands YOU and your family. We pride ourselves in taking the time to discuss your needs to ensure that you don’t find a gap in coverage when you need it most…something that can’t always be done in 15 minutes and is too important to rush. Make sure you and your family are fully protected and call us at 407-977-5700 or email any time at

Learn more about what is and isn’t covered:
Learn more about the coverages included in a policy:
Related Resources: