Homeowners Insurance – Policy Types
Buying homeowners insurance means buying protection for your home — both inside and out. When you purchase a home insurance policy, it should contain a description of your home’s structure and a list of excluded events that may not be included. It’s important that you understand what is included in your coverage and any additional options you may want to consider.
Structures vary so widely that a different policy is usually required for each type of home. For instance:
- A Condo insurance policy typically covers the interior structures like drywall, cabinetry and lighting fixtures. External walls are not covered since the condo association should have a master policy to cover the physical structure of your building.
- For a Home insurance policy, usually a home’s entire structure is covered along with sheds and detached garages.
- A Landlord insurance policy is insured very much like a Home insurance policy where the home’s entire structure is covered along with sheds and detached garages. However, it can protect you from unique liability risks such as wrongful eviction and entry along with coverage for lost rental income if your property becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss.
- With Manufactured Homes, the entire structure is usually covered on the policy, while detached structures, like sheds and garages, may not be covered and require an optional policy—if available.
- A Renters insurance policy usually offers no physical structure coverage at all, but it can provide essential liability and contents coverage.
Most insurance companies offer coverage for the same events that may damage the structure of your home, including fire, smoke, lightning, wind, hail, frozen plumbing, theft, vandalism, and a few others. Floods are excluded from basic policies, but you may be able to get a separate insurance policy for this peril. A few other conditions some companies specifically exclude are mold, fungus, wet rot, dry rot and bacteria.
Your best choice for insurance
The first right decision in protecting all of your assets is finding an insurance agent who understands YOU and your family. We pride ourselves in taking the time to discuss your needs to ensure that you don’t find a gap in coverage when you need it most…something that can’t always be done in 15 minutes and is too important to rush. Make sure you and your family are fully protected and call us at 407-977-5700 or email any time at email@example.com.
Learn more about what is and isn’t covered:
Learn more about the coverages included in a policy:
- Dwelling Coverage
- Medical Payments Coverage
- Other Structures Coverage
- Personal Liability Coverage
- Personal Property Coverage