Condo Insurance Coverage — What Is and Isn’t Covered

Different from home insurance, condo insurance is designed specifically for condos, and it covers what you keep inside of yours. When you own a condominium, you — not your condo association — are responsible for what’s inside your condo. That’s why having a personal condo insurance policy is important.

Condo associations have master policies that cover the property, common areas and physical structure of your building. However, these master policies do not cover your personal property or your legal responsibility to others, and they may not cover improvements or customizations to your unit. In fact, most condominium by-laws state that the condo owner owns or is responsible for everything within the unit, including permanently attached fixtures and improvements.

That’s where condo insurance comes in.

A standard condo insurance policies provide the following types of coverage, up to the limits outlined in the policies:

  • Dwelling — Covers the interior structures you are responsible for replacing like drywall, cabinetry and lighting fixtures (Coverage A)
  • Personal Property — Covers the contents inside your condo, such as furniture, electronics, clothes, and more if they are stolen, damaged, or destroyed (Coverage C). Special limits apply to certain items such as jewelry, watches and furs.
  • Loss of Use/Additional Living Expenses — Covers the additional living expenses if your condo is too damaged to live in during repairs (Coverage D).
  • Personal Liability — Covers you against financial loss if you are sued and found legally responsible for someone else’s injury or property damage (Coverage E).
  • Medical Payments — Covers medical bills for people hurt on your property (Coverage F).
  • Loss Assessment Coverage — Helps pay for your share of a loss assessment if your condo association imposes an assessment on all unit owners due to a covered peril.

A standard condo insurance policy may not protect you from:

  • Flood — Flood coverage is not included in your condo insurance policy, but is available for purchase as a separate policy. Flood policies cover damage due to flooding, according to the guidelines established by the National Flood Insurance Program. If you live in a flood plain and you have a mortgage, you may be required to carry flood insurance.
  • Windstorm & Hail Damage — In certain areas (mainly coastal locations), standard condo insurance coverage may not cover damage caused by windstorms and hail. Check your policy information to see if windstorm damage is covered in your area. If this coverage is excluded, you may be able to qualify for a separate wind insurance policy, depending on your location.


Your best choice for insurance

The first right decision in protecting all of your assets is finding an insurance agent who understands YOU and your family. We pride ourselves in taking the time to discuss your needs to ensure that you don’t find a gap in coverage when you need it most…something that can’t always be done in 15 minutes and is too important to rush. Make sure you and your family are fully protected and call us at 407-977-5700 or email any time at

Learn more about what is and isn’t covered:
Learn more about the coverages included in a policy:
Related Resources: