For some, purchasing a motorcycle is a dream come true. You’ve found just the right bike with the perfect features, and your mind is filled with visions of cruising the open road. There’s one more step to take before you enjoy your new wheels: making sure you have the right motorcycle insurance policy. But, what if you don’t know much about motorcycle insurance?
Of course, you can always call your insurance agent, who can give you the information you need to know about buying your first motorcycle insurance policy. But, it’s always a good idea to know the basics. And while the state of Florida has minimum requirements for coverage, you may want to consider whether buying the minimum or adding higher limits or additional coverages makes more sense for you.
So, here’s a rundown of the types of coverage from which you can typically choose for motorcycle insurance:
- Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability (BI/PD) — BI/PD covers you if you’re at fault for an accident that injures another person or damages someone’s property, up to the limits you select.
- Comprehensive & Collision — This motorcycle insurance coverage pays to repair or replace your motorcycle if it’s stolen or damaged in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. For each coverage, you select a deductible that you pay out of pocket.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) — When the person at fault for an accident doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance, UM/UIM will cover your injuries and damages that the at-fault party is legally liable for, such as medical treatment and lost wages.
- Medical Payments — Medical payments covers the cost of necessary medical care you receive as the result of a motorcycle accident and can be used regardless of who is at fault. Medical payments coverage often is limited to medical treatment received within the first three years after an accident and is limited to a specific dollar amount.
- Custom Parts & Equipment — When you purchase Comprehensive or Collision motorcycle insurance coverage, $3,000 of Accessory coverage for your custom parts and equipment is included. Up to $30,000 of additional Accessory coverage can be purchased to cover custom parts that exceed the included value.
- Roadside Assistance — If your motorcycle breaks down, Roadside Assistance will pay to tow it to the nearest qualified repair facility. Roadside Assistance also covers the necessary labor costs at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:
- Mechanical or electrical breakdown
- Dead battery
- Flat tire
- Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water, or other fluids
- Entrapment in snow, mud, water, or sand within 100 feet of the roadway
Your best choice for insurance
The first right decision in protecting all of your assets is finding an insurance agent who understands YOU and your family. We pride ourselves in taking the time to discuss your needs to ensure that you don’t find a gap in coverage when you need it most…something that can’t always be done in 15 minutes and is too important to rush. Make sure you and your family are fully protected and call us at 407-977-5700 or email any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about your motorcycle insurance:
- Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability Coverage
- Comprehensive & Collision Coverage
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage
- Medical Payments Coverage
- Custom Parts & Equipment
- Roadside Assistance