When you are looking over your homeowners insurance policy, you’ve probably come across the word “dwelling” on more than a few occasions. It’s important to have a clear understanding of how it relates to your homeowners policy or what it covers. If you go by strict dictionary terms, the definition of dwelling describes the roof over your head. As an insurance term, however, that definition may include more than that.
Dwelling in Your Homeowners Insurance Policy
According to most standard homeowners insurance policies, a dwelling is typically defined as your house and any other structures that are connected to it. This can cover a fairly broad range of attachments, and may include the following:
- Your front and back porch. Although most of us enjoy spending time on our porches, we wouldn’t normally consider them part of our actual dwellings, at least not in the literal sense. But on some homeowners insurance policies, coverage for your “dwelling” may extend to the physical structure of your porch.
- An attached garage. You don’t live in your garage, either. Well, most of us don’t. There are some people who spend so much time in their garages working on various projects that they might as well set up permanent residence there. Often, your garage is covered under the dwelling portion of your insurance as long as it’s physically attached to your home.
- Your deck. As long as your deck is attached to your home, it may also be covered under the dwelling portion of your insurance.
Dwelling Insurance and Your Covered Hazards
These attached structures may also be protected against damage or destruction from the same perils against which your home is protected. This could vary depending on the type of homeowners insurance policy you have, as well as your geographical location, but most standard policies often include protection against damages caused by the following:
- Water damage caused by burst pipes or overflow of household appliances
- Theft and/or vandalism
Your best choice for insurance
The first right decision in protecting all of your assets is finding an insurance agent who understands YOU and your family. We pride ourselves in taking the time to discuss your needs to ensure that you don’t find a gap in coverage when you need it most…something that can’t always be done in 15 minutes and is too important to rush. Make sure you and your family are fully protected and call us at 407-977-5700 or email any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about what is and isn’t covered:
Learn more about the coverages included in a policy:
- Medical Payments Coverage
- Other Structures Coverage
- Personal Liability Coverage
- Personal Property Coverage