What is a Flood?
Floods and flash floods can occur anytime, anywhere, in all 50 states — on coasts, in the mountains, along rivers, and in the middle of the desert. In fact, did you know floods are the #1 natural disaster in the United States? You don’t need to live near water to be flooded — everyone lives in a flood zone. In fact, nearly 25 percent of flood losses occur in low to moderate risk areas.
The Federal Government runs the National Flood Insurance Program, which is why most home and property insurance policies typically do not cover flooding. The government draws a Flood Hazard Boundary Map that divides the country into flood zone risk areas, and their Flood Insurance Rate Map sets the coverage and premiums for those areas.
It doesn’t matter whether your flood risk is high, medium, or low, you’re eligible for Flood Insurance as long as your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program. Given that most Homeowners, Condominium, Mobile Home, Renters, or Business Insurance Policies exclude flood coverage, a Flood Insurance Policy can help protect the most valuable asset you own: your home or your business.
What is a Flood?
Flood insurance covers direct physical loss caused by “flood.” In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry. Here’s the official definition used by the National Flood Insurance Program:
“A flood is a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is your property) from:
- Overflow of inland or tidal waters;
- Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source;
- Mudflow*; or
- Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.”
(*Mudflow is defined as “A river of liquid and flowing mud on the surfaces of normally dry land areas, as when earth is carried by a current of water…”)
Your best choice for insurance
The first right decision in protecting all of your assets is finding an insurance agent who understands YOU and your family. We pride ourselves in taking the time to discuss your needs to ensure that you don’t find a gap in coverage when you need it most…something that can’t always be done in 15 minutes and is too important to rush. Make sure you and your family are fully protected and call us at 407-977-5700 or email any time at email@example.com.
Learn more about Flood Insurance:
- Why can’t I rely on Federal Disaster Assistance?
- What’s the advantage of Flood Insurance Protection?
- What coverages are included under a Standard National Flood Insurance Policy?
- How do I qualify for Preferred Risk Flood Insurance Policy?
- What’s covered by a Preferred Risk Policy?
- How do I qualify for Excess Flood Coverage?